Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities Renowned Confucianism Scholar Prof. Tu Weiming Speaks on the Sense of Cultural Identity in the Global Chinese Community
To mark the 60th anniversary of the Shun Hing Group and the 50th anniversary of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) in 2013, the Shun Hing Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities has been established with a generous donation from the Shun Hing Group. The lecture series aims at promoting cultural knowledge and scholarly pursuits in the arts and humanities. Distinguished scholars from four major areas, Music, Drama and Film, Literature and Art, as well as Philosophy and Thinking, will be invited to give public lectures. The first lecture of the series was presented by Prof. Tu Weiming, a world-renowned scholar in Confucianism on 'A Truly Meaningful "We" in Cultural China: How Is It Possible?' on 7 March on CUHK campus. The lecture attracted an audience of over 450, including CUHK staff and students, members of education and public sectors.
In his lecture, Professor Tu shared his views on the sense of cultural identity in the global Chinese Community. The Chinese in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and in the global community have endeavored to embrace and to advocate their precious culture, while building a strong sense of cultural identity. He hoped such a cultural identity could be established in a humanistic spirit of freedom, diversity, inclusiveness and self-reflection, and most important, incorporating a vision of communal, critical, rational and benevolent self-consciousness.
Since its establishment, CUHK has committed itself as much to teaching and academic research as to upholding the humanistic spirit. Through a wide selection of programmes on offer in general education, exchange and social services programmes, as well as different kinds of lectures and conferences. CUHK strives to encourage students and the public to improve their humanistic quality by thinking critically and appreciating different cultures and philosophies. The Shun Hing Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities launched by the Shun Hing Group and CUHK aims to inspire participants to understand and appreciate the art of living, to review their current state and explore the prospects, so that they become all-round global citizens with a strong sense of social responsibility and a heart to serve.
The Shun Hing Group has been a staunch supporter of CUHK since the 1960's. Over the years, major donations have been received to finance scholarships, exchange and training programmes at the University, as well as the Internet-based Robotics Inter-School Competition to nurture diverse and creative talents. Thanks to the generous support of Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund, Chair Professorship of Mathematics was set up at the Institute of Mathematical Sciences; various laboratories, Shun Hing Institute of Advanced Engineering, and William Mong Eye Centre of Tsinghua University & CUHK were also established for engineering and medical developments.
Biography of Prof. Tu
Prof. Tu Weiming, Director of the Institute for Advanced Humanistic Studies at Peking University and Research Professor at Harvard University, was born in Kunming in China. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Tunghai University in Taiwan in 1961, Master and Doctoral degrees from Harvard University in 1963 and 1968 respectively. Professor Tu taught Chinese intellectual history, philosophies of China, and Confucian humanism at Harvard University from 1981 to 2010. He was a visiting professor at Tunghai University in Taiwan, Princeton University in the United States, University of California at Berkeley, Peking University in China, Taiwan University, CUHK, and L'Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes in Paris. He also holds honorary professorships from Zhejiang, Sun Yat-sen and Renmin universities, and the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, all in China.
Professor Tu has been awarded honorary degrees at the universities of Lehigh, Michigan State (United States), Shandong (China), Tunghai (Taiwan), Lingnan (Hong Kong), King's College (London), Macau University, and Soka University (Japan). He was invited by the United Nations to be a Member of the Group of Eminent and International Advisors of Rahman University in Malaysia. Professor Tu is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the recipient of Lifelong Achievement Award by the American Humanist Society. He has authored nine books in Chinese and English, more than a hundred articles on the modern transformation of Confucian humanism, and a five-volume collection of his work in Chinese.
Video recap: http://www.cpr.cuhk.edu.hk/cutv/detail/289
- 2013-03-22 - Shun Hing Group launches Switch on 60 Dreams Campaign to promote social integration
- 2013-01-29 - “Panasonic Sports Scholarship Programme” jointly presented by Sports Federation and Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China and Shun Hing Group
- 2013-03-11 - Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities Renowned Confucianism Scholar Prof. Tu Weiming Speaks on the Sense of Cultural Identity in the Global Chinese Community
- 2013-03-22 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 23rd year
- 2013-11-04 - David Mong honoured UCLA Engineering’s Alumnus of the Year
- 2013-11-08 - Celebrating its Diamond Jubilee, Shun Hing Group grows further by Trust and Thankfulness
- 2013-11-09 - Shun Hing Group 60th Anniversary promotion campaign, "Happy 60!" Lucky Draw was completed successfully
- 2013-10-02 - Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities Renowned Sculptor Professor Wu Wei Shan to Share the Cultural Perspective on his Sculpture
- 2013-11-09 - 2013 Panasonic Cup Race Day with pineapple bun tasting
- 2013-11-05 - Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities Renowned Composer Dr. Lam Bun Ching to Share Experience in Creativity
- 2014-01-08 - Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund supports scientific research and donates to the construction of Tsinghua University Mong Man Wai Building of Science and Technology
- 2014-01-10 - Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Arts and Humanities Renowned Picture Book Author Jimmy Liao Spoke on “Creation through illustration; my passion”
- 2014-03-21 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 24th consecutive year
- 2014-04-28 - Hong Kong Students Awarded Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund Scholarships to Study Engineering at UCLA
- 2014-05-21 - Naming Ceremony of the Main Building under School of Mechanical Engineering at Shanghai Jiao Tong University to honour the late Dr William M W Mong
- 2014-07-19 - Switch on 60 Dreams Closing Ceremony Sharing Joy & Happiness of Dream Realization
- 2014-09-17 - Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund Cash Awards Presentation Ceremony to Hong Kong Meritorious Athletes at the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games
- 2014-10-06 - Shun Hing Group Sponsored Local Musical “The Passage Beyond” in Concert
- 2014-11-03 - Renowned Filmmaker Sylvia Chang Spoke to a Full House on CUHK Campus Today for Shun Hing Lecture in Arts and Humanities
- 2014-11-17 - 2014 Panasonic Cup Race Day with Fresh Vegetables
- 2014-12-09 - Shun Hing Group Celebrates Grand Opening of Living Station by Panasonic
- 2015-02-09 - Inauguration of HKU Shun Hing College - A celebration of the shared values of University education
- 2015-03-09 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 25th consecutive year
- 2015-04-14 - Presentation Ceremony of Panasonic Sports Scholarship Programme for Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- 2015-05-27 - The Mong Family Foundation supports refurbishment of Sidney House at the University of Cambridge
- 2015-06-22 - 2015 Olympic Day - Olympic Fun Run was concluded successfully!
- 2015-10-26 - Inauguration Ceremony of Mong Man Wai Brain Centre of the Tsinghua University Yuquan Hospital
- 2015-11-16 - Celebrities get together on 2015 Panasonic Cup Race Day
- 2016-01-27 - New Shun Hing Group Building Works Mobilization Cocktail Reception
- 2016-03-31 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 26th consecutive year
- 2016-06-24 - 2016 Olympic Day - Olympic Fun Run was concluded successfully!
- 2016-07-07 - The Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund participated in ‘Canstruction® Hong Kong 2016’ for the first time
- 2016-11-16 - 2016 Panasonic Cup Race Day with New Cooking Ideas
- 2016-11-18 - Hong Kong Baptist University Presented the Degree of Doctor of Social Sciences, honoris causa to Mr David Mong
- 2017-03-20 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 27th consecutive year
- 2017-10-23 - The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Presented the Degree of Doctor of Business Administration, honoris causa to Mr David Mong
- 2017-11-15 - 2017 Panasonic Cup Race Day with a Lot of Fun
- 2018-01-24 - Let’s Celebrate the Festive Season with More Dishes!
- 2018-03-26 - Shun Hing sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 28th consecutive year
- 2018-04-03 - UCLA receives generous gifts from alumnus David Mong for new Learning Center
- 2018-04-16 - Naming Ceremony of Mong Man Wai Building at School of Journalism & Communication at Peking University to honor the late Dr William M W Mong
- 2018-05-14 - Shun Hing Group joins hands with The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ again to present “Joe Hisaishi in Concert”
- 2018-05-21 - University of Hong Kong conferred the Degree of Doctor of Social Sciences, honoris causa to Mr David Mong
- 2018-06-27 - 2018 Olympic Day - Olympic Fun Run was concluded successfully!
- 2018-08-01 - Panasonic 18 Young Athletes Asian Games Tour
- 2018-09-06 - Shun Hing Congratulates Panasonic Sports Scholarship Awardees for Gaining Medals in Asian Games 2018
- 2018-09-21 - Shun Hing Group and CUHK Present the Lecture Series in Medicine Renowned Cardiologist Dr. Victor Joseph Dzau spoke on the Impact of Medical and Technological Breakthroughs
- 2018-10-09 - The Future of Living Expo
- 2018-11-07 - “The Future of Living Expo” -powered by the 65th anniversary of Shun Hing Group and the 100th anniversary of Panasonic Corporation Officially opened to public for free admission Experience the smart living in future
- 2018-11-09 - Shun Hing Group 65th Anniversary Dinner Looking Forward to the Development of the Greater Bay Area
- 2018-11-15 - Panasonic Cup 2018 celebrates ‘Triple Happiness’
- 2019-02-13 - Shun Hing Group 65th Anniversary Proudly Sponsors La Cage aux Folles
- 2019-03-14 - Shun Hing Group sponsors Hong Kong Arts Festival for the 29th consecutive year
- 2019-04-04 - Shun Hing Group 65th Anniversary Staff Dinner A Night filled with Joy & Laughter
- 2019-06-27 - Sharing Happiness and Olympism at 2019 Olympic Day!
- 2019-06-27 - 10 Athletes Awarded Panasonic Sports Scholarship for Preparing Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
- 2019-09-19 - PanaShop becomes the jersey sponsor of Yuen Long Football Team
- 2019-11-13 - Panasonic Cup 2019 filled with Fun and Happiness
- 2020-01-13 - Reiwa 1 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals Dr. David Mong, Chairman and CEO of Shun Hing Group Awarded the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon
- 2020-11-18 - Panasonic Cup 2020 A fun-filled day with exciting races
- 2021-04-19 - Panasonic Proudly Sponsors: Good Music This Lunch
- 2021-08-13 - Thank you for the wonderful performances of our Panasonic Sports Scholars at the Tokyo Olympic Games
- 2021-11-16 - The 38th Panasonic Cup filled with joy and happiness
- 2022-02-08 - 10 Athletes Awarded "Panasonic Sports Scholarship" for preparing 2022 Asian Games and 2024 Olympic Games
- 2022-05-23 - Panasonic Proudly Sponsors: Good Music This Lunch
- 2022-07-25 - Shun Hing Education and Charity Fund donated HK$300 million to support the establishment of Tech Landmark of the University of Hong Kong
- 2022-08-09 - Presentation Ceremony of “Panasonic Sports Scholarship Programme” for preparing 2022 Asian Games and 2024 Olympic Games
- 2022-11-15 - The 39th Panasonic Cup race day with ten splendid races
- 2023-02-27 - Shun Hing Group Proudly Sponors： “Table for Six on stage” farewell with the big applause